HIMD seeks to work with marginalized groups in the areas of education, health and socio-economic empowerment with;
- Gender Mainstreaming through participatory approaches using both gender
analysis tools and frameworks to identify gender gaps thereby proposing appropriate strategies to bridge those gaps
- HIV and AIDS Awareness Creation both medical and socio-cultural perspectives aiming at reducing stigma by promoting Voluntary Counseling and Testing (VCT), and
- Environmental Conservation that is, looking at the body of a human being as an integral person aiming at promoting environmental sanitation as well as promoting microenterprises which are environmental friendly in that, the target communities are to put on board the important of conserving the environment as both a means but also an end itself towards socioeconomic empowerment if at all the sustainable livelihoods are to be attained.
- These are crosscutting issues which should be addressed whenever an intervention is to be implemented. Single parents specifically single mothers; women; children, specifically orphans; PLWHA and youth are priority target groups
OUR AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To involve the target communities to work towards health promotion.
- To sensitize, educate, and create awareness of communities on the need for primary and secondary abstinence before marriage and loyalty within marriage as an alternative preventive measure against the HIV and AIDS pandemic
- To educate youth on Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHRs) and the danger of early exposure pregnancy and the risks of using addictive substances.
- Education on family planning as part of developing good, healthy families with both parents sharing equal responsibility.
Educating the community in Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) and their relation to reproduction and HIV and AIDS transmission.
- To identify customs cultural traditions, beliefs and taboos that are gender discriminative and therefore constraints to community development and carry out education and sensitization campaigns with a view to having them abolished.
- Education on preventive measures with emphasis on community-based healthcare.
- Food security and nutrition improvement.
- Attitude and behavior change (HIV and AIDS prevention).
- Birth control /Family planning for Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights. Promotion of Maternal Health (MDGs 4&5)
- Hygiene mechanism-Hygiene and Healthy lifestyle.
- Environmental conservation/sanitation
- To network and collaborate with other change agents who shares HIMD’ concerns in order to achieve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Mobilization of influential people, leaders and use them as key people in community changes.